Paroxetine Hydrochloride is the generic name for Paxil which is prescribed for treatment of depression, anxiety, stress and when it is an absolute need to treat premenstrual cases. The generic version of this is approved by the FDA(Food and Drug Administration).
- It is manufactured by Apotex technologies, Aurobindo Pharma, Jubilant Generics
- Introduction of Paxil has become a relief to patients who are suffering from Depression and Anxiety as medicines rescribed earlier were not suiting their requirements
- The Popular names for this drug are Brisdelle, Praxil, Praxil CR, Pexeva
- Medicine belongs to a group of drugs called Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI)
- In short, this SSRI helps in shooting up the serotonin levels within the brain
- It is also referred to as “feel-good hormone”. The main function is carrying messages from the brain cell and helps in keeping a person in high spirits, increasing the appetite, and keeps the maintenance of the body intact. Helps to follow a regular time table with sufficient sleep and diet.
- Most of the problems a person with a lot of anxiety faces are taken care of by SSRI. Hence It has proved that intake of this tablet does a lot of benefits as it does not make you inactive but goes that extra mile to keep you fit and healthy
- Avoid this medicine if you doctor prescribed pimozide or thioridazine.
- Never use this if you are conceived
- Also, test and then start using if you did not have any allergy for paroxetine
- One should immediately stop the intake of this medicine and rush to the doctor if they experience Muscle stiffness, nausea, dizzy feeling, fever, tremors or convulsions
What should we disclose to the doctor before taking Paxil
- Be open and let your doctor know if you have suffered any heart disease, high or low blood pressure, Kidney surgery, heavy bleeding, epilepsy, bipolar disorder, Optic issues, sodium levels going low.
Some more preventive measures
- You should never breastfeed your baby if you are taking this drug. During pregnancy and till the time you breastfeed your child completely avoid taking Paxil as it will cause harm to the babies lungs
- It should not be taken without medical advice and below 18 years of age.
How this tablet needs to be taken
- Blindly one should follow the doctor’s prescription. The doctor might suggest variations in the dose at regular intervals
- The tablet needs to be consumed as a whole. Never attempt to make it a fine powder, two halves etc. No chewing like a peppermint also allowed
- If it is in liquid form. Measure carefully the prescribed dose and take it in one gulp
- Minimum time required for the medicine to show results in 4 weeks. If you do not find any improvement you may have to meet the doctor and seek necessary advice.