Gabapentin in an antiepileptic drug also known as anticonvulsants. The generic medicine of Gabapentin is also branded in the name of Neurontin. It is mainly used to treat partial seizures in children and adults. It can be also used to treat nervous pain caused by post herpetic neuralgia or shingles infection. It is available in many forms like an oral capsule, an immediate release oral tablet, an extended release oral tablet and an oral solution. In case of epilepsy it alters the effect of calcium or reduces the abnormal excitement happening in the brain.
Generic gabapentin and branded Neurontin oral capsules and tablets come in the strength of 100 mg, 300 mg and 400 mg. The usual starting dosage should not be more than 300 mg a day. The Neurontin 400 mg uses are gradual as and when required. But do not take more than 300 mg thrice per day. And maintain even gaping throughout the day. In case of a missed dose immediately take it as soon as you remember it. However, do not overdose if it is almost time for the next dose.
How to Administer Gabapentine:
It can be taken orally from mouth with water. Neurontin can be consumed with or without food. You must not break, crush, open or chew these capsules or tablets. In fact, they must be swallowed as a whole. You can get oral solutions from gabapentin online pharmacy and take it after measuring carefully with dosing syringe or device.
You should store gabapin 100 mg tablets and gabapentin capsules in a closed container at room temperature away from excess heat and moisture. Oral solution can be stored in refrigerator but never freeze. Keep away from direct sunlight. Keep them in containers that have a safe lock. And keep it out of sight and out of reach from children. And do not flush this medicine into the toilet pot.
• Avoid drinking alcohol, alcoholic drinks or beverages or you might feel more dizzy.
• Keep away from pets, children who are below 18 years of age and people who do not need it.
• Do not smoke marijuana with it as it can be dangerous.
• Pregnant women should not consume gabapentin as much as possible. Or should at least consult a doctor before taking it.
• Do not take it if you are breastfeeding as this medication passes into your breast milk making it dangerous for your infant.
• Inform and consult your doctor beforehand if you have any kidney problem, breathing problem or any allergic reactions from medicines.
• Avoid driving after taking this medicine.
• Do not take an antacid 2 hours prior or after taking is gabapentin 300 mg capsule.
• Allergic reaction
• Blurred or double vision
• Dizziness, sleepiness and drowsiness
• Depression, anxiety and mood swings
• Vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea